A Tooheys New beer has been pulled after complaints that it was cruel to cane toads - in the ad three men were seen using the poor critters as golf balls. Nearly 200 people complained they were not amused at watching toads being whacked with golf irons, even if the creative idea was a friendly poke at the NSW-Queensland rivalry.
The advertiser news reports of many other banned and withdrawn ads, a Coca-Cola ads depicting people surfing on photocopiers, and a BMX ad where bikers jumped over cars for were both sentanced for encouraging "dangerous behaviour". Another ad, for Just Jeans, showed a bunch of boys throwing chairs down stairwells and off rooftops was deemed to show "gratuitous destruction and vandalism".
They might seem trigger happy down under but according to The advertiser the latest figures shows that only 11 complaints out of 1191 were upheld.
- Alexei Sayle, Dammit now I 1 day 2 hours ago
- Nah, my Dad is semi-retired; 1 day 7 hours ago
- I'm with you there. 1 day 7 hours ago
- I feel like the song needed a 1 day 7 hours ago
- If they'd made it less 1 day 10 hours ago
- I'm highly offended at this 1 day 19 hours ago
- > it's going to take several 1 day 23 hours ago
- There's an interesting 2 days 4 hours ago
- So I'm not the only one who 2 days 5 hours ago
- I'm pleased to discover that 2 days 14 hours ago
- Funny. That looked pretty 3 days 1 hour ago
- A month late, yo. #Epicstrut. 3 days 4 hours ago