Copywriters get to have final word on how exactly something should be said in any given ad, that is until the ASA listens to it. This British Gas advert which aired in December last year has been banned for "Implying that British Gas would attend same day call-outs, even over Christmas". The phrasing that set complaints off was : "You can reach us every day. Even over Christmas.", in combo with a cute animated British Gas car pulling up to help the house owner in the ad with the broken boiler.
British gas disputed the complaint, saying that they wanted the ad to show that they deal with queries every day, even on christmas - thing is, the british gas truck doesn't show up quite as fast as the ad implies.
Comments: 1 so farThis is just 1 ad from the 44 years in the worlds largest Super Bowl Commercial Archive at adland
- Thanks Mike. 6 hours 34 min ago
- Hahahaha! *high fives Henrik, 6 hours 35 min ago
- That is embarrassing. Saatchi 9 hours 48 min ago
- They forgot the "NOT BEER" 10 hours 14 sec ago
- The music is from BoomBox 10 hours 1 min ago
- Worst. Super bowl ad. Ever. 10 hours 59 min ago
- This isn't an ad, this is a 11 hours 7 min ago
- This feels like the kind of 12 hours 8 min ago
- I also have to disagree. 15 hours 48 min ago
- You know what this needs? 16 hours 53 min ago
- Ah, sorry. First commenter 17 hours 46 min ago
- This has to be a matter of 17 hours 53 min ago