The Guardian reports that Steel Panthers posters promoting the "Balls Out" album are banned for being "overtly sexual". The ASA received four complaints about the poster which shows a barely dressed woman caressing herself while holding a pair of silver balls.
The record label Universal Island used the "we're mocking stuff from the 80s" defense and said that the ads were meant to "poke fun at the ridiculousness of the attitude to women, outfits and music in that era".
They also pointed out that the posters are meant to be "ludicrously over the top and not meant to undermine women". Cliff notes: "c'mon, we're only joking".
- very nice the video and post! 1 hour 55 min ago
- "You'll be OK probably" 1 day 15 hours ago
- Nobody is seriously getting a 2 days 20 hours ago
- First off, that snark though. 3 days 3 min ago
- Props for skater working hard 3 days 3 hours ago
- Co-branding between tech 3 days 8 hours ago
- It would be remiss of me to 6 days 1 hour ago
- I love how the girls upset 6 days 12 hours ago
- For the legal nerds, march 6 6 days 14 hours ago
- So basically, it's a 6 days 16 hours ago
- @twitter, #junk. Thus saith S 6 days 23 hours ago
- I'm paying more attention to 6 days 23 hours ago