Copywriters get to have final word on how exactly something should be said in any given ad, that is until the ASA listens to it. This British Gas advert which aired in December last year has been banned for "Implying that British Gas would attend same day call-outs, even over Christmas". The phrasing that set complaints off was : "You can reach us every day. Even over Christmas.", in combo with a cute animated British Gas car pulling up to help the house owner in the ad with the broken boiler.
British gas disputed the complaint, saying that they wanted the ad to show that they deal with queries every day, even on christmas - thing is, the british gas truck doesn't show up quite as fast as the ad implies.
- Welcome to advertising. Where 5 hours 35 min ago
- I'm shocked and very 7 hours 31 min ago
- Can't wait for Jezebel to get 17 hours 52 min ago
- Something like "made with 15 hours 56 min ago
- So it's referencing the 20 hours 33 min ago
- It is clear that the ads are 22 hours 2 min ago
- Sound design & mix on the 2 days 8 hours ago
- cool I just won £5, not gunna 2 days 11 hours ago
- I don't mind the spot itself. 2 days 12 hours ago
- If she's in her twenties it's 3 days 2 hours ago
- When I see a woman drinking 3 days 3 hours ago
- I can't stand the fact they 3 days 3 hours ago