The Guardian reports that Steel Panthers posters promoting the "Balls Out" album are banned for being "overtly sexual". The ASA received four complaints about the poster which shows a barely dressed woman caressing herself while holding a pair of silver balls.
The record label Universal Island used the "we're mocking stuff from the 80s" defense and said that the ads were meant to "poke fun at the ridiculousness of the attitude to women, outfits and music in that era".
They also pointed out that the posters are meant to be "ludicrously over the top and not meant to undermine women". Cliff notes: "c'mon, we're only joking".
- "You'll be OK probably" 1 day 10 hours ago
- Nobody is seriously getting a 2 days 15 hours ago
- First off, that snark though. 2 days 19 hours ago
- Props for skater working hard 2 days 22 hours ago
- Co-branding between tech 3 days 3 hours ago
- It would be remiss of me to 5 days 21 hours ago
- I love how the girls upset 6 days 7 hours ago
- For the legal nerds, march 6 6 days 9 hours ago
- So basically, it's a 6 days 11 hours ago
- @twitter, #junk. Thus saith S 6 days 18 hours ago
- I'm paying more attention to 6 days 18 hours ago
- Sainsbury's raised 4.5 1 week 21 min ago