Copywriters get to have final word on how exactly something should be said in any given ad, that is until the ASA listens to it. This British Gas advert which aired in December last year has been banned for "Implying that British Gas would attend same day call-outs, even over Christmas". The phrasing that set complaints off was : "You can reach us every day. Even over Christmas.", in combo with a cute animated British Gas car pulling up to help the house owner in the ad with the broken boiler.
British gas disputed the complaint, saying that they wanted the ad to show that they deal with queries every day, even on christmas - thing is, the british gas truck doesn't show up quite as fast as the ad implies.
- Welcome to advertising. Where 2 hours 31 min ago
- I'm shocked and very 4 hours 27 min ago
- Can't wait for Jezebel to get 14 hours 48 min ago
- Something like "made with 12 hours 53 min ago
- So it's referencing the 17 hours 29 min ago
- It is clear that the ads are 18 hours 58 min ago
- Sound design & mix on the 2 days 5 hours ago
- cool I just won £5, not gunna 2 days 8 hours ago
- I don't mind the spot itself. 2 days 9 hours ago
- If she's in her twenties it's 2 days 23 hours ago
- When I see a woman drinking 3 days 21 min ago
- I can't stand the fact they 3 days 23 min ago