The Guardian reports that Steel Panthers posters promoting the "Balls Out" album are banned for being "overtly sexual". The ASA received four complaints about the poster which shows a barely dressed woman caressing herself while holding a pair of silver balls.
The record label Universal Island used the "we're mocking stuff from the 80s" defense and said that the ads were meant to "poke fun at the ridiculousness of the attitude to women, outfits and music in that era".
They also pointed out that the posters are meant to be "ludicrously over the top and not meant to undermine women". Cliff notes: "c'mon, we're only joking".
- Will Buckley What tech 1 day 17 hours ago
- We all need more cowboy boot 2 days 35 min ago
- The PBS fake reality show 2 days 2 hours ago
- You're welcome. We can't 2 days 17 hours ago
- Thank you for this. It's was 2 days 21 hours ago
- where do they sell nacho 3 days 21 hours ago
- Well, one of the comments on 4 days 21 hours ago
- Really now, how difficult is 5 days 2 hours ago
- verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry cute add. 5 days 2 hours ago
- veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery cute add 5 days 2 hours ago
- More like This Is Pandering. 5 days 15 hours ago
- That was my immediate thought 6 days 2 hours ago