Copywriters get to have final word on how exactly something should be said in any given ad, that is until the ASA listens to it. This British Gas advert which aired in December last year has been banned for "Implying that British Gas would attend same day call-outs, even over Christmas". The phrasing that set complaints off was : "You can reach us every day. Even over Christmas.", in combo with a cute animated British Gas car pulling up to help the house owner in the ad with the broken boiler.
British gas disputed the complaint, saying that they wanted the ad to show that they deal with queries every day, even on christmas - thing is, the british gas truck doesn't show up quite as fast as the ad implies.
- So don't be a bully because 9 hours 45 min ago
- AFAIK Stav doesn't identify 1 day 19 hours ago
- aaaawkwaaaaaaard. 2 days 20 hours ago
- Hello Brown University! Do 2 days 20 hours ago
- Only if you read it literally 3 days 3 hours ago
- This advertisement is a 3 days 3 hours ago
- I'm glad they meant that much 3 days 19 hours ago
- The radio ads featuring 4 days 6 hours ago
- Welcome to advertising. Where 6 days 3 hours ago
- I'm shocked and very 6 days 5 hours ago
- Can't wait for Jezebel to get 6 days 15 hours ago
- Something like "made with 6 days 14 hours ago