Copywriters get to have final word on how exactly something should be said in any given ad, that is until the ASA listens to it. This British Gas advert which aired in December last year has been banned for "Implying that British Gas would attend same day call-outs, even over Christmas". The phrasing that set complaints off was : "You can reach us every day. Even over Christmas.", in combo with a cute animated British Gas car pulling up to help the house owner in the ad with the broken boiler.
British gas disputed the complaint, saying that they wanted the ad to show that they deal with queries every day, even on christmas - thing is, the british gas truck doesn't show up quite as fast as the ad implies.
Comments: 3 so farThis is just 1 ad from the 44 years in the worlds largest Super Bowl Commercial Archive at adland
- Need to note that I also love 28 min 36 sec ago
- If you really think about it, 55 min 40 sec ago
- Just saw this. It aired at 1 hour 9 min ago
- It is a story instead of 8 hours 59 min ago
- Their "bey" tweet felt so 16 hours 52 min ago
- Didn't Chevy already do this? 18 hours 22 min ago
- Ouch! 1 day 2 hours ago
- On first viewing I was 1 day 8 hours ago
- It's late, I'm killing time, 1 day 9 hours ago
- It's difficult to fail with 1 day 3 hours ago
- For what it's worth, it's my 1 day 13 hours ago
- I might have seen something 1 day 13 hours ago