Copywriters get to have final word on how exactly something should be said in any given ad, that is until the ASA listens to it. This British Gas advert which aired in December last year has been banned for "Implying that British Gas would attend same day call-outs, even over Christmas". The phrasing that set complaints off was : "You can reach us every day. Even over Christmas.", in combo with a cute animated British Gas car pulling up to help the house owner in the ad with the broken boiler.
British gas disputed the complaint, saying that they wanted the ad to show that they deal with queries every day, even on christmas - thing is, the british gas truck doesn't show up quite as fast as the ad implies.
- I'm glad they meant that much 6 min 35 sec ago
- The radio ads featuring 11 hours 27 min ago
- Welcome to advertising. Where 2 days 8 hours ago
- I'm shocked and very 2 days 10 hours ago
- Can't wait for Jezebel to get 2 days 21 hours ago
- Something like "made with 2 days 19 hours ago
- So it's referencing the 2 days 23 hours ago
- It is clear that the ads are 3 days 1 hour ago
- Sound design & mix on the 4 days 11 hours ago
- cool I just won £5, not gunna 4 days 14 hours ago
- I don't mind the spot itself. 4 days 15 hours ago
- If she's in her twenties it's 5 days 5 hours ago