Copywriters get to have final word on how exactly something should be said in any given ad, that is until the ASA listens to it. This British Gas advert which aired in December last year has been banned for "Implying that British Gas would attend same day call-outs, even over Christmas". The phrasing that set complaints off was : "You can reach us every day. Even over Christmas.", in combo with a cute animated British Gas car pulling up to help the house owner in the ad with the broken boiler.
British gas disputed the complaint, saying that they wanted the ad to show that they deal with queries every day, even on christmas - thing is, the british gas truck doesn't show up quite as fast as the ad implies.
- Before the inevitable 1 sec ago
- I'm glad they meant that much 7 hours 12 min ago
- The radio ads featuring 18 hours 33 min ago
- Welcome to advertising. Where 2 days 15 hours ago
- I'm shocked and very 2 days 17 hours ago
- Can't wait for Jezebel to get 3 days 4 hours ago
- Something like "made with 3 days 2 hours ago
- So it's referencing the 3 days 6 hours ago
- It is clear that the ads are 3 days 8 hours ago
- Sound design & mix on the 4 days 18 hours ago
- cool I just won £5, not gunna 4 days 21 hours ago
- I don't mind the spot itself. 4 days 22 hours ago