The Guardian reports that Steel Panthers posters promoting the "Balls Out" album are banned for being "overtly sexual". The ASA received four complaints about the poster which shows a barely dressed woman caressing herself while holding a pair of silver balls.
The record label Universal Island used the "we're mocking stuff from the 80s" defense and said that the ads were meant to "poke fun at the ridiculousness of the attitude to women, outfits and music in that era".
They also pointed out that the posters are meant to be "ludicrously over the top and not meant to undermine women". Cliff notes: "c'mon, we're only joking".
- "You'll be OK probably" 2 days 6 hours ago
- Nobody is seriously getting a 3 days 11 hours ago
- First off, that snark though. 3 days 15 hours ago
- Props for skater working hard 3 days 18 hours ago
- Co-branding between tech 3 days 23 hours ago
- It would be remiss of me to 6 days 17 hours ago
- I love how the girls upset 1 week 3 hours ago
- For the legal nerds, march 6 1 week 5 hours ago
- So basically, it's a 1 week 7 hours ago
- @twitter, #junk. Thus saith S 1 week 14 hours ago
- I'm paying more attention to 1 week 15 hours ago
- Sainsbury's raised 4.5 1 week 20 hours ago