AdLand Advertising Roundup- The Ad Part
We started off with missed the Bestest and Mostest Lists (with list goodness including most watched and worst voted) and followed it up with the Roundup- Newsy Part (a look back at the year of advertising) and now it's time for the Best and Worst ads of the year.
Except this year with the increased number of ads to go through in the archive, and large number of so-so or just plain bad ads, it seemed better to stick with a list of the better ads of the year. Because really, are you going to look at the worst? Well, some might. But we figured it'd be better candy for you to have some good stuff to look at.
Read on to see the list of TV spots, Print ads, Virals, and much more. Enjoy!
Inspirational. Excellent. Lipsmacking good stuff.
Best Show Promo:
Channel 4 - Lost Dancers
Sure - Stunt City
Best Traveling Through Time:
Guinness - NoitulovE
Unicef bombs the smurfs!
In third place, Médecins Sans Frontières - Gaining ground. In second place Aides.org film, tsunami vs Africa... And the number one best swag of the year goes to:
AIDES - The Right One (aka Vibrators)
Best Self Promo:
Marc and Tom's commercial
Cillit Bang - the eurotechnotrash version
Best Special Effects:
Hewlett-Packard - François
Best Hair Care:
Dove - Wilma, Velma and Jane/Unstick Your Style
Nationwide - Robot / Science Project
Best Tooth Pulling:
Parmalat - Pulling teeth
Carlton Draught - Big ad
Pork / The Other White Meat - Forbidden Love
ESPN - Without Sports - Nothing To Say
Tango Clear - Metaphor
Grendene Ipanema - Gisela Tattoed
Heineken - Big Drop
Best Kung Fu:
Lynx Unlimited – Kung Fu
FedEx - Ten Things
Cheez-it – Maytag guys
Best Old School Product Demo:
Tostitos - Checkers
Best Breaking Out:
McDonald's - Inner Child
Best Art Sculpture using Product:
Starburst - Hello
Diet Pepsi - Make Up Your Mind
Kit Kat - Butcher
Best King Kong:
Ford – King Kong
GameTap - How Will You Die?, Pac-Man Puppet Show, Sonic-Latte, Pitfall - Sensitive Teeth, Pitfall - Alligator Arms, Pac-Man - Time Is On My Side, Pac-Man - Bidding War, Pac-Man - Sopranos, Galaga - Come In, DigDug - Expecting, DigDug - Joey, and Video Game Theater.
Skoda Octavia 4x4 - Gymnast
Best Love Story:
Virgin Atlantic - Love Story
Axe Effect - Impressions (2005) 0:30 (USA)
XM Satellite Radio - Rivals
Gatorade - Lemonade Stand
Olympus - Distorted Dog
Nike Pro Apparel - Warriors / Masks
Weetabix - Scarecrow
FedEx - Pirate / Counseling
Best gratuitus nudity:
Best awkward family moment:
KFC - Musical Dinner
Most ambiguous line of the year:
"You do more than just cleanse in the shower."
U.C.S.A.A.K.W.Y.H.Y.F. from Guinness.
General weirdness running amok in adland.
* Burger King - Ranch Song
* Wendy's - Ranch Tooth
* Stella Artois - Surreal Bench
* Burger King - Coq Roq - Chicken Fries Cross The Road
* Four Seasons - Camping Scare
Overall Best Print
Tasty print ads that make us wish we had thought of that.
Tampax gets interactive.
Light of Life Foundation "Breast"
French AIDS campaign has a sting.
The Flags: Meet the world.
Heads up, Lowe Bull sells Durex condoms.
Not your average kitty litter advertisement
Sweden's advertisers (org) new campaign shows no skin
Best Feminine Pad:
Ladies, this ad knows you
Bud Light Print ads
Best Male Cleavage:
Dolce & Gabbana introduce the new male cleavage
No cover up for Incognito Clothing.
Guinea Pig Tested
Stella Artois ads make you think
Hijacked Audi campaign?
Not many ads these days have jingles. And if they do they aren't very good. So bravo to the best ballad/song in an ad for this year.
Pointless Use of Celebrity in an Ad
Sometimes using a celebrity is good. Sometimes it's just stupid.
American Express - Kate Winslet was popular while, American Express - Robert De Niro caused some outrage. Still the number one celeb endorsment 2005 was: Tiger Woods for watches, Nike, American Express, among his mile long list of brands he shills for.
Most Overrated Ad
The ads that got great press coverage, even though they really wasn't all that great.
People with too much time on their hands tend to feel like it's their duty to complain about things. Some of the times they actually do have a point. But a good part of the time, their complaints are inane and pretty much waste the time of the ASA and other ad standards groups. Sometimes it seems that these groups kowtow to the masses, even if a small number of complaints are made. But sometimes, it's not bad that they banned the ads either.
* This year's banned super bowl commercials.
* Sofa King ad slogan banned
* French court bans "last supper" ad that offended catholics
* Viagra gets rough with Virgin - forces them to pull ad
* Cult cleaner ad for Cillit Bang is banned!
* IKEA Germany - "Midsommar in Schweden" and part two
* Helium Huffing Ad Bannage
* Billboard with logo over nude man's doodle gets banned
* BBC "Faces" campaign withdrawn after more than 1300 complaints
* Banned TV Spot - John Woo style
* Ads called too sexy in Mexico
* Hell Pizza billboard under review
Best use of Media/Innovation
Sometimes cool stuff comes about with the way media is used. Sometimes it's a new innovation
Best Interactive Billboard:
American Express interactive billboard in Belgium
Relaxed denizens in denim hang around Union Sq. San Fran
Edible direct mail tempts customers to tapas bar
Best New Car Smell:
Mitsubishi Motors sells cars with that 'new car smell' in Sweden.
Best Use of Building:
Åkestam.holst turn building into speakers
Good Viral Ads/Internet Stuff
Some of the best of this newish ad media.
Flicka reveals what is behind the retouching
VW Polo viral - the punchline kills. (uk)
Don't Get Hoodwinked By A Counterfeit Mini
Best Hardcore Cleaning:
Cillit Bang, the hardcore cleaning sensation!
John Cleese at the Institute of Backuptrauma
Best and most complicated integration campaign:
Advertising Campaign for the 2006 Audi A3
Best Fishbowl lens:
Olympus banned ad becomes Olympus Viral Campaign
Viral for Opel goes to the dogs
British Airways "English to English" dictionary. (+Billboards/outdoor)
Monopoly on the real streets of London
Decorate your willie with Dickorations!
This is a big ad. A very big ad.
Best Film Festival:
Not Showing in New Zealand
Coors Light gives monsters jobs for the rest of the year
Best News Spoof:
Milk's new spots spoof steroid use in baseball
Virgin viral game - spot the band names.
Lodger equalityzone.org viral animations
The Haunting Ghost Of Walford
Coudal says: Copy goes here
Viral BMW spot
Motorola bunnies in the movies
Biggest Ad Scandal
The news items that was the most controversial in the world of advertising.
* L'Oreal apologizes to customer for offending ad
* Marmite Blob Advert Restricted
* Young Designers Emporium quits spanking ads and More spanking used to sell
* Tom Waits sues Opel over "voice theft" in advert
* Parent group boycotts 50 Cent's Reebok Advert
* Street art "guerilla" campaign causes backlash from real street artists
* Another KFC advert under fire
* Viagra, is that a C&D in your pocket....?
* Coke threatens fan-site due to a link to Cokes homepage.
* Ad campaign disparages real apples
* ASA wants proof prayer heals for SA church ad
* Coca Cola India demand "unconditional apology" from photographer
* Million Moms go against DishTV sucky ad campaign (which doesn't suck).
* Dinner Party With Mild Nudity Causes Mild Ad Bannage.
* iTunes ad too close for Lugz? and Lugz wants Apple to pull plug on Eminem iTunes ad
* No "squish" please we're British.
* Sony and Paddy Power ads upset Catholics
* Boeing/Bell Helicopters puts out a print ad and unleashes PR hell on themselves
* Burger King advert is offensive to cows
* Naked Mannequin Mazda spot gets cleared
* San Fran folks miffed at Sony graffiti advertising
Ad Things That Made Us Smile
Whether it was a viral game, web site, joke or short- these were some of the best advertising related things out there.
* Advertising: Get the Message
* The unspoken rules of graphic design.
* What are you really saying?
* Donny Glam Pics
* The PixelRoller Painter
* It’s not you, it’s your ad agency
* Ad Trophies - Send an award to someone who needs it
* Ipod ad campaign spotted in the Simpsons.
* Ad Guy Starter kit - everything you need to be creative.
* Is your ad agency a cult?
* The Ad Conceptor
* iRock- Real iPod man dances through iPod store
* Banned ads collection on the web
* The Official AdLand Advertising Tutorials : Part One , Part Two , and Part Three
* Yet another iPod (spoof). The flea.
* Everyday Sneakers Viral Spoof
* It's a small ad. Such a small ad.
* Citroen CV2 - dancing citroen spoof
* Ellen Feiss unreleased G4 spot
* Another buncha Switch parodies
* Ogilvy Düsseldorf – No real beauties.
* Burger Duke - Killer King - (Burger King Spoof)
Please donate to keep adland alive. The Super Bowl Collection is the worlds one and only. It costs a minor fortune to keep up. If you love our efforts, please donate to keep the archive alive. You may also sponsor us with a large banner, advertise yourself as you help save our common advertising history.
Want to join adland?
Create an adgrunt account for 6 USD.
- AntDude! *highfives*
23 min 46 sec ago
- I think the "phase" market is
30 min 33 sec ago
- Red Robin completely missed
2 hours 8 min ago
- Let's see Peter Norton.
5 hours 19 min ago
5 hours 31 min ago
- Holy guy cave Batman, I am
6 hours 59 min ago
- Ooh, you know what he's doing
9 hours 34 min ago
- The ASCII doesn't work quite
9 hours 53 min ago
9 hours 58 min ago
- Definitely feel the pain of
10 hours 16 min ago