Coonrod.net asks: "Surely this violates the Landmarks Preservation regulations?"
He sent a photo to the Landmarks Preservation Commission and witjin a week, they replied that he was right! The huge H&M poster is five out of the nine violations in total that the Department of Buildings issued the Flatiron building.
1. Sign creates hazardous wind load.
2. Prohibited advertising sign on scaffold.
3. Sign exceeds the 40-foot height limit.
4. Surface area for the sign is too large.
5. Failure to get permit from Buildings Department.