Paypal froze our assets - newbie super access closed.
Our paypal account as been frozen - right now we can not receive any donations for a super adgruntship that allows access to the commercial archives. :(
We've emailed and asked paypal - who as you probably know just got bought by Ebay - what exactly we've done to deserve this. Apparantly it is "adult content". They have yet to point out where exactly this site carries such content.
In regular ads? Well who would have thunk it. As this story progresses we'll let you know whats going on.
I'm really sorry about it - apologies to all adgrunts who wanted an upgrade and can't get one via paypal now.
Paypals words on why our account has been frozen:
"After reviewing your site, and in accordance with Section 11 of the User Agreement, your account has been closed."
Naturally, if you know any alternatives that you'd like to suggest we'd be happy , nay thrilled, to look into them. Again, apologies all around.
Update friday 16 jan 14:58: Not that I can tell you anything new, but it is worth noting that 5 phonecalls to paypal and six emails later - we have still no more information as to why our account was closed, nor what we can do about it. None of the employess we have reached on the phone thus far have been able to give us any more information. Only the complaint department can tell us why the account its frozen, and they are taking their own sweet time about it.
(the first email was sent
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:40:25 +0100 (CET)
From: adland's hostmaster [xxxx @ ad-rag.com]
To: firstname.lastname@example.org yesterday that is.)
Their automated reply reads:
To appeal the limited access placed on your account, all references of PayPal as your payment processor will need to be removed from your website(s) and/or auction(s) -OR- remove the items that are in violation of our Mature AUP.
This is their Mature Audiences Guidelines/agreement.
How does PayPal define "adult" or "sexually orientated" material?
"Adult" or "sexually-orientated" material includes, but is not limited to:
* Any visual representation of human genitals presented in such a manner as to suggest sexual activity
* Any visual representation of any form of sexual intercourse involving humans
* Any materials which require that individuals be eighteen (18) or older (depending on the jurisdiction) to view or purchase those materials
* Any non-textual materials clearly designed to sexually arouse the viewer/reader, including adult phone or audio services
* Any items which, because of their nature or because of the item description, appear to be designed for use in sexual/adult activity
* Escort services
* Any items which depict human sexual characteristics in a degrading fashion
* Any item that portrays frontal nudity will normally be treated as "adult" material
We've replaced all references to PP with 'p*ypal' on this site as the automated email does read "references of PayPal as your payment processor will need to be removed". Consider it done.
Well, just call me the pr0n-Queen.
Opium ad removed - to please Paypal, albeit only temporarily.
Paypal will not be back. On 2004-06-28 we got rid of Paypal all together as it only worked half the time anyway.
Please donate to keep adland alive. The Super Bowl Collection is the worlds one and only. It costs a minor fortune to keep up. If you love our efforts, please donate to keep the archive alive. You may also sponsor us with a large banner, advertise yourself as you help save our common advertising history.
Want to join adland?
Create an adgrunt account for 6 USD.
- In truth well-off content and
10 min 2 sec ago
- In actual fact amazing
6 hours 35 min ago
- What is the name of the song
2 days 12 hours ago
- With this card, they're
2 days 17 hours ago
- Haha as well as "Why is it?"
3 days 56 min ago
- This was all so much better
3 days 4 hours ago
- This wasn't an Abercrombie
3 days 22 hours ago
- This just makes me like
3 days 22 hours ago
- Ha haha, the way he snogs the
4 days 4 hours ago
- Speaking of cereal&feels,
4 days 5 hours ago