The CommercialCloset.org , a great resource which aims to collect and gather feedback on all sorts of ads depicting gay people was in a geek word DDoS:ed by members of AFA last week.
The American Family Association is boycotting P&G due to a print ad for Downy Wrinkle Releaser that showed two men in bed together. Nevermind that the ad ran once only and four years ago, in a Gay magazine in Toronto, Canada. The AFA made it their pet project, see their site and boycott Procter and Gamble page. The link to the commercial closet in that elert was clicked on 1.5 million times an hour Sept. 29, 30 and Oct. 1, bringing the site down like a denial of service attack would, even though this was done by individuals and not some hackware. When service returned on Friday the Commercial Closet had to dubious pleasure of receiving thousands of hate emails from fans of the AFA who quote the bible backwards.
Commercial closet donations are the only thing keeping the non-profit ad collectors afloat and if you wish to even out the struggle so that this massive resource of commercials from all over the world can keep on trucking - more bandwidth, better servers - you should donate a few bucks.
Poor procter and gamble, when they're not accused of promoting Satan with their Man in the Moon logo, they're scoffed at by agency creatives all over the world. ;)
Shame that a third party resource had to feel the heat - though a shady marketeer might be thinking "wow, 1.5 million hits an hour!? How do I get my product on this mailinglist? Can I advertise there?" You know who you are, stop it right now.
- Twitter has forever killed 1 day 15 hours ago
- Sounds like it's just Stefan 2 days 14 hours ago
- Ha ha ha! 3 days 9 hours ago
- It would appear that 4 days 9 hours ago
- Just to preempt any derails, 4 days 10 hours ago
- While I love some of it, such 1 week 2 days ago
- Advertising people take note: 1 week 4 days ago
- The smiley face. o_0 1 week 4 days ago
- Points for finding some 2 weeks 4 days ago
- Amanda Palmer is glutinous? 2 weeks 5 days ago
- Adriana doesn't even stay to 2 weeks 5 days ago
- I imagine the minute she left 2 weeks 5 days ago