Yet another Monday, yet another Ad Chat. Sorry we missed last week. I was on vacation and was suffering from vacation brain. Totally lost track of what day of the week it was.
But to get us back on track, this week we've got Dirk Singer, Head Rabbit of Rabbit in London, UK.
1. What's your favorite funny story about yourself?
I won the Edinburgh - Amsterdam hitchhiking race while at University.
2. What piece of art (movie, book, music, painting, etc) has influenced you most? How or why?
The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight by Thom Hartmann--even though it came out in 1997, it still provides the most lucid explanation of how we're burning up the fossil fuels our current lifestyle depends on.
3. Who was your favorite mentor and why?
Lesley Brend of the Red Consultancy - most talented agency MD I have ever worked with.
4. What's one thing that excites you about the future of advertising?
The end of one way, top down communications.
5. If you could meet with anyone in history (dead or alive), who would it be and why?
I have the same birthday as the Emperor Nero and Gustave Eiffel - either of them will do!
6. What’s your favorite website/blog, and why?
In the industry, probably brandflakesforbreakfast, due to the variety of insights and observations and the fun, informative way it has been put together.
7. What's your trick to break out of a creative block?
Forget about it for a day and come back to it!
8. Who is your advertising hero and why?
Andy Law of St. Lukes for daring to do something radically different.
9. Tell us one of the things on your bucket list.
To be an animated guest on the Simpsons (OK, an animated guest anywhere!)
10. What piece of advice would you give someone starting out?
Get some work experience - nothing beats real live 1st hand knowledge of having seen the inside of an agency.
Keep up with Dirk on his blog at LiesDamnedLiesStatistics and at @dirktherabbit on Twitter.
Adland is supported by your donations alone. You can help us out by donating via Liberapay, the Paypal button, or using our amazon affiliate links.