It's Monday, and that means it's time for Ad Chat! This week it's your chance to get to know Tim Brunelle, CEO at Hello Viking and President of the Minnesota Interactive Marketing Association.
1. What's your favorite funny story about yourself?
It does not involve either a bear or squirrel costume.
2. What piece of art (movie, book, music, painting, etc) has influenced you most? How or why?
Several books: Grudin's "The Grace of Great Things," Godin's "Linchpin," Foster's "How To Have Ideas" and King's "On Writing: A Memoir To The Craft"
3. Who was your favorite mentor and why?
I've only had one mentor, Bill Miller, who co-created the Rolling Stone "Perception/Reality" campaign at Fallon with Nancy Rice.
4. What's one thing that excites you about the future of advertising?
5. If you could meet with anyone in history (dead or alive), who would it be and why?
Howard Gossage - If only to learn how close my perceptions of his character are to the reality.
6. What’s your favorite website/blog, and why?
I check out the NY Times site almost daily for news. I'm too familiar with their design and content to go anywhere else. For blogs, I enjoy Dave Trott's posts for the beauty of his writing.
7. What's your trick to break out of a creative block?
Turn up the volume of whatever I'm listening to. Or take a walk. Or talk to another human being. Or all three.
8. Who is your advertising hero and why?
I have several heroes: Jan Leth at Ogilvy for his passion, articulation and patience; David Armano (does he work in advertising?) for his humanity, insights and design acumen; Mark Fenske for his way with ideas and words; Nancy Rice for her persistence, hope and generosity; Lee Lynch for the adventure and value he continues to create; my friend Chris Bradley for his fire and insight.
9. What piece of advice do you wish someone had told you when you were starting out?
"Learn how to make procrastination useful and productive."
10. What piece of advice would you give someone starting out?
Build and maintain relationships with co-workers and clients from Day One so you have a broader and more viable network when you open your own shop.
Keep up with Tim on Twitter at @tbrunelle.
Did you miss last week's Ad Chat with TBWA\Chiat\Day's Rob Schwartz? Check it out.
Adland is supported by your donations alone. You can help us out by donating via Liberapay, the Paypal button, or using our amazon affiliate links.